Turkey Hunting Seminars
The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission and the National Wild Turkey Federation will host turkey hunting seminars across the state during the month of March.
For novice and experienced hunters, the sessions will include presentations on turkey biology, hunting methods, calls and decoys, firearm and ammo tips and much more.
One session will be at the Craven County Extension Office in New Bern on March 7. Another one is set for the Onslow County Extension Office in Jacksonville on March 8. Pre-registration is required and must be done online at www.ncwildlife.org/sbs.
Some Mountain Trout Streams Closed
The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission (NCWRC) has closed approximately 1,000 miles of Hatchery Supported Trout Waters in the state’s western counties to fishing until 7 a.m., April 7.
While fishing is closed, Commission personnel will stock all Hatchery Supported Trout Waters in preparation for opening day. Those streams, which are marked by green-and-white signs, are stocked at frequent intervals in the spring and early summer each year.
This year the NCWRC will stock approximately 916,000 trout – 96 percent of which average 10 inches in length, with the other 4 percent exceeding 14 inches in length. While fishing on Hatchery Supported Trout Waters, anglers can harvest a maximum of seven trout per day, with no minimum size limit or bait restriction.
For more information on mountain trout fishing in North Carolina, visit the trout fishing page on the Commission’s website (www.ncwildlife.org), or call the Inland Fisheries Division at 919-707-0220.
Controlled hunting preserves: thru Mar. 31
Coyote, feral swine (hogs), nutria, skunk, groundhog or armadillo: no closed Season
Wild Turkey: April 14 thru May 12; Youth Season – April 7-13
Striped Bass (in Roanoke River Mgmt. Area): Mar. 1 thru Apr. 30; (in Neuse River) – thru Apr. 30
Note: Check the N.C. Inland Fishing, Hunting and Trapping Regulations Digest, available online or from Wildlife Service Agents, for additional information regarding seasons, bag limits and special provisions.