Ezel facing general court martial

Published: Thursday, August 22, 2013 at 18:58 PM.

The winner of a free wedding who is facing a general court martial on sexual assault charges against a minor has now declined the prize.

Marine Staff Sgt. Patrick Ezel and his fiancée, who is from Havelock, were announced last week as one of five couples selected by Operation Marry Me Military to receive a free wedding on Nov. 11 of this year. Ezel emailed Operation Marry Me Military founder Alecia Geddings on Wednesday to decline the prize.

“We are sad to inform you that we are not going to accept the Operation Marry Me Military wedding package for Craven County,” read the email from Ezel to Geddings, which she said was received on Wednesday. “Due to some timing issues, planning and family schedules, we have scheduled our wedding for a later date.”

She said Operation Marry Me Military was not aware of the pending court martial and had no way of discovering it. She said a statewide records search did not turn up the pending court martial.

Ezel, according to prosecuting attorney 1st Lt. Brett Sheneman, will be subject to a general court martial by jury from Sept. 25 to 27 for allegedly sexually assaulting a 15-year-old boy, sodomy, providing alcohol to a minor and showing pornography to a minor. All of the alleged incidents reportedly occurred in September 2011.

When reached by a reporter, he declined to comment on the accusations.

After the winners of this year’s contest were announced, Geddings learned that Ezel was facing sexual assault charges.



1 2
Next

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

COMMENTS
▲ Return to Top