Thanksgiving night fire destroys Havelock home

Published: Friday, November 23, 2012 at 09:37 AM.

“The kids have no toys,” she said. “We don’t have any body wash. All our medicine burned up. I’m going to have to call the pharmacy. I have no I.D., no driver’s license, no Social Security cards, no birth certificates. I don’t have any shoes.”

Rick Zaccardelli, Havelock fire chief, said the fire started about 10:30 p.m. when a child playing with a lighter set some bed linens on fire in a bedroom. The flames quickly spread into the attic of the home. He said when firefighters arrived, flames were coming through the roof.

“We had it under control in about 20 minutes with the help of Cherry Point,” Zaccardelli said. “The guys did a good job of getting it under control. Thank God no one was hurt.”

Zaccardelli is hoping to get the family help through the Red Cross.

Anyone wishing to help the family directly can call Holden at 252-772-3615.

After the fire, Holden, who is 21 weeks pregnant, and her family spent the night in a one-bedroom apartment belonging to her grandmother. She said trying to sleep proved difficult.

“I closed my eyes, and all I could see was orange,” she said. 



1 2 3

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

COMMENTS
▲ Return to Top