Thanksgiving night fire destroys Havelock home

fire 1

Candace Holden flips through the pages of a book in her burned bedroom Friday at 122 Karol Drive in Havelock. The house caught fire the previous night, Thanksgiving night, at around 10:30 p.m. She returned to the home Friday morning to see what she could salvage from the home. Eight people in the house escaped the flames, but one of her cats did die in the fire, which started when a child playing with a lighter set linens on fire in a bedroom.

Ken Buday/Havelock News
Published: Friday, November 23, 2012 at 09:37 AM.

Candace Holden and the rest of her family had just turned in for the night after a Thanksgiving feast.

“We had a big Thanksgiving,” she said. “We were stuffed. We usually don’t go to sleep that early.”

Next thing she knew, she was startled by screams of a fire in the home.

Eight people escaped uninjured from a Thanksgiving night house fire in Havelock, but the home at 122 Karol Drive is considered a total loss.

“It spread so fast,” Holden said. “I was throwing kids out of the house like footballs. The only thing we saved were the kids and a TV. We tried to go back in, but we couldn’t.”

One of the family’s cats survived the fire, but one did not.

“He was gray, but had those white boots and streaks of white across his face,” Holden said of her lost cat. “He would play fetch.”



1 2 3
Next

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

COMMENTS
▲ Return to Top