School district plan has some parents upset

Published: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 16:13 PM.

Sarah Afflerbach is one of those parents affected.

“We got denied going back to Bangert even though we’ve been there three years and our kids have been on the principal’s list for excellent students every semester they’ve been there,” she said.

“I just wish Craven County Schools had given us warning of this change, but they didn’t say anything. We just got a form letter. I really feel dumped by the school system, and the kids are so upset they won’t be with their friends next year. The schools really could have handled this better.”

One Arthur W. Edwards Elementary School parent said her child was set to go to school on July 11, but because of the change, she would have to make arrangements for daycare until traditional schools start on Aug. 26.

Allison Lambson is another Arthur W. Edwards parent affected.

“They approved everyone last year using the exact same reason,” she said. “They never asked for reassignment forms until this year. You shouldn’t have to change your kid’s school unless there is a very good reason.”

Reaves, who is handling reassignments and coordinating appeals, said students would still have the option of year-round classes at Havelock Elementary.



1 2 3 4 5
Next

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

COMMENTS
▲ Return to Top