State promises grant funds to build new ballfields

Published: Monday, July 15, 2013 at 06:57 PM.

A proposed Havelock recreation facility at the end of Lewis Farm Road may be back on, if money from the state comes through.

Havelock has received notice that the N.C. Parks and Recreation Authority has approved a $500,000 Parks and Recreation Trust Fund Grant for development of a recreation area on a 47-acre tract that is being turned over to the city from the Coastal Land Trust.

Havelock’s bid had been denied earlier, but Dave Smith, director of Havelock Parks and Recreation, said more money than had been expected came in to the trust fund.

"It added a couple more million dollars, and they added some projects," Smith said. "There were five added and ours was one of those five."

He said a contract for the park could happen as early as October, if the money remains available. Smith said he is "cautiously happy" in the turn of events.

"It’s still dependent upon the funds coming in, but we’re still very happy that hopefully we can start building on a need for the recreation department, which is additional recreational fields for the children to play on," Smith said.

The proposed park is west of the city just before the Carolina Pines subdivision. Youth league officials cited the need for the park, saying children involved in sports such as soccer, football, lacrosse, softball and baseball simply didn’t have enough space at current parks for practices and games.



1 2
Next

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

COMMENTS
▲ Return to Top