Havelock firefighter, others honored for helping save child

Published: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 at 05:36 PM.

Dylan Burkett spent two days in the hospital receiving treatment for smoke inhalation. The family lost everything in the fire, which destroyed the house. The family attended the presentation, with Dylan sporting a nice shirt and tie.

"Seeing Dylan playing around, it was a good feeling," Winter said. "Honestly, that was the best part of the whole night."

During the presentation of the medal, Zaccardelli choked back tears.

"We’re proud of Charlie. We’re proud of the whole department," he said. "The outcome could have been so much worse. I’ve been down that road here in Havelock, having people pass on in fires, and when you get a save like that, it should be recognized." 

1 2 3

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top