Havelock couple fighting Cape Lookout ferry service plan

Published: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 12:25 PM.

Kenney said the panel is looking to see that established criteria are met and then the proposals get a legal review.

“Our goal is to have a contract awarded in early September and we’re seeking to have the ferries operating by spring 2014,” he said.

Kenney said there are two proposals being reviewed but said he could not provide details.

Downum said he didn’t put in a bid and that it would be difficult for small, local operators to do so with the requirement that they have $1.5 million in backing.

Calico Jack’s, which has been operating on Harkers Island since the early 1990s, has announced on its website it won’t likely continue trips to Cape Lookout.

“After reviewing the contract and proposal materials, the owners of Calico Jack’s Ferry have decided not to bid on the Cape Lookout concession,” according to the Calico Jack’s website. “Unless circumstances change, the 2013 season will be our last year in business as a ferry operator.”

While the park service plan will bring changes, Kenney said the idea is not a new one. The planning has been under way at least five years, he said, and has included public hearings.



1 2 3 4
Next

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

COMMENTS
▲ Return to Top