Guests safely evacuated

quality inn fire 1

Havelock firefighters examine a hotel room that caught fire Friday night at the Quality Inn in Havelock. No one was injured in the blaze, which was confined to one room and believed to have started in the room's heater unit.

Ken Buday/Havelock News
Published: Friday, March 29, 2013 at 09:49 PM.

A fire at the Quality Inn in Havelock forced guests to evacuate Friday night, but no one was injured.

Rick Zaccardelli, chief of the Havelock Fire and Rescue Department, said the fire was contained to one room – No. 108 – and firefighters needed just about five minutes to put out the flames.

He said there had been a guest staying inside the room.

“She was in the room, walked out of the room, and was gone for about five minutes,” Zaccardelli said. “She walked back in and saw fire.”

Zaccardelli said preliminary evidence points to the heater in the room as the starting point, but that a fire marshal would make the official determination.

The heater unit in the room is located underneath the window in the room. Zaccardelli said drapes surrounding the heater burned and spread the fire.

Fire damage was contained to the one room, but there was smoke damage in others. Firefighters had to gain entry to the rooms above and next to No. 108 to make sure the flames had not spread.

1 2

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top