A 2-year-old boy rescued from a house fire in Havelock has been released from the hospital.
Dylan Burkett was being treated at Vidant Medical Center in Greenville after Havelock firefighter Charlie Winter rescued him from the burning home on Pineview Street on Tuesday. A spokeswoman said Friday that Burkett was released from the hospital.
The boy’s grandfather, Richard Matson Sr., said that Burkett was being treated for smoke inhalation and had been on oxygen while at the hospital.
Meanwhile, Havelock Fire Chief Rick Zaccardelli said Friday that the cause of the fire has been listed as accidental. He said the fire started in the front part of the house and was caused by a child playing with a lighter.
When the fire started around noon on Tuesday, flames spread quickly through the single-story, wood-frame house, thought to be about 70 years old. Father William Burkett managed to get one son, 3-year-old Little Will, out of the house but could not get to 2-year-old Dylan, who was napping in a back bedroom.
As fire crews arrived, the front of the house was fully engulfed in flames. Winter entered the home through a side window with the help of police, and after searching through thick, black smoke, heard Burkett crying. He followed the sound and found the boy on a bed in a bedroom. He passed the young boy through the window to fellow firefighter Megan Lashway, who carried him to an ambulance for treatment.
William Burkett and Destiny Matson lived in the home with their four children. Burkett and the two boys were the only ones home at the time the fire started.
The family lost everything in the fire, including the family van, which was parked in front of the home and had heavy damage.
The Red Cross and area churches are helping the family, and a fund has been set up to take monetary donations. Checks noting Matson/Burkett Fire Fund can be made out to White Oak Church of God, 5054 Highway 24, Newport, NC 28570. Those wishing to donate items can call 252-393-8484.