After dog dies, Havelock pet owner warns of tick diseases

Published: Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 03:37 PM.

"Most of the times I’d spray Off on him," he said. "Check for ticks and fleas, comb them every time they come in and out of the woods."

Sosik said he just wants others to be aware of the potential dangers to their pets.

"People need to know to be vigilant with the ticks and their dogs," he said. "I knew there were poisonous snakes and poisonous spiders out here, but I didn’t know that there were poisonous ticks. The scary thing about it is he went down in a week. It wasn’t this long drawn out months-long thing."

According to the website for the American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation, thousands of dogs in the country are affected each year by dangerous tick borne diseases. The website lists a report from Veterinary Week of a 30 percent increase in the rate of dogs exposed to tick-transmitted diseases between 2006 and 2010.

According to the website, early diagnosis and treatment is the key. Tick collars can help some in prevention, but aren’t 100 percent effective. Dogs who frequent wooded areas are particularly vulnerable to ticks. Dogs should be checked for ticks daily, according to the website.

For a full list of tick borne diseases and suggestions for treatment go to 

1 2 3

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top