1. Blood drives: The Cape Fear Valley Blood Donor Center has several upcoming blood drives. Donors also may go by the center, at 3357 Village Drive, Suite 150, weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. to make a donation. It also is open the third Saturday of the month from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. All blood types are needed, however, the center has an urgent need for type O donors. For more information, call 615-5433. Upcoming blood drives include:
• Wednesday: Fayetteville Technical Community College, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Tony Rand Student Center, 2201 Hull Road
• Thursday: On The Border, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., 115 Glensford Commons
• June 25: Starbucks, 2 to 4 p.m., 4401 Ramsey St.
2. Bright Ideas grants: Teachers may apply for grants from South River Electric Membership Corp., which expects to award $50,000 for classroom projects and materials through the Bright Ideas Grant Program. Teachers from K-12 public schools can apply for as much as $2,500. The application deadline is Sept. 19. Teachers who submit an application by the early bird deadline of Aug. 15 are eligible to win a $100 Visa gift card. Find out more at ncbrightideas.com.
3. City boards and commissions: The city of Fayetteville is looking to fill vacancies on several boards and commissions, including Animal Control, the Planning Commission, the Public Works Commission and the Fayetteville-Cumberland Human Relations Commission. Applications will be accepted until midnight July 31. To apply, go to fayettevillenc.gov, click on "Government'' and choose "Boards and Commissions'' under the City Council section.
We want to hear from you: Please submit your events in writing at least 10 days in advance. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or fax details to 486-3545. For questions, call 486-3500.