A Havelock public services worker returned to work Wednesday after being slightly injured Monday when a city grass mower caught fire.


A Havelock public services worker returned to work Wednesday after being slightly injured Monday when a city grass mower caught fire.



Shawn Gaskill, 32, suffered minor burns on his arm when the mower caught fire at 1:45 p.m. Monday in a grassy area between U.S. 70 and the service road near Lighthouse Assembly of God Church.



"Thankfully he is back to work today," Melinda Davis, who works in the public services department, said Wednesday.



Havelock Fire and Rescue Department Chief Rick Zaccardelli said the fire started when Gaskill was stopped to gas up his mower.



"They were filling it up with gas and I imagine it was the vapors from the gas can that started the fire," Zaccardelli said.



Diane Miller, Havelock spokeswoman, said Gaskill sustained slight burns.



"The hair on his arms got singed," she said.



A Township Six volunteer firefighter happened to see the fire start and called it in from the nearby Havelock station, and Township Six firefighters put out the blaze.



Gaskill refused transport to the hospital but was later checked out by a doctor.



The mower is a Bobcat commercial grade, zero turn, industrial-use riding mower that was valued at $9,300, Miller said.



"Its completely insured. Weve already filed the claim and already ordered its replacement," Miller said.



Kenny Muse is the head of the safety committee and will do a safety assessment for the city, Miller said.



Gaskill has worked for the city since 2008.